Clinton Must Resign!
Posted September 16, 1998
But these÷ will utterly perish in their own corruption÷ having eyes full of adultery and that cannot cease from sin, enticing unstable souls÷ when they speak great swelling words of emptiness, they allure through the lusts of the flesh÷ While they promise÷ liberty, they themselves are slaves of corruption÷(2 Pet 2:12-19). Reject a divisive man after the first and second admonition, knowing that such a person is warped and sinning, being self-condemned (Titus 3:9, NKJV)
Bill Clinton's declaration of repentance before an audience of clergymen at the annual White House Prayer Breakfast may have swayed some, but his actions are speaking far more loudly than his words. Clinton's political and legal salvos, inconsistent with his repentance, reveal an unbroken, driven man, willing to divide and destroy America rather than do what is right: RESIGN THE PRESIDENCY!
- Mr. Starr's report details unspeakably bizarre adulterous acts, pathologic deceitfulness, perjury, subornation of perjury, witness tampering and the perfidious abuse of public officials to help cover up his crimes. Our Founding Fathers, when they created the impeachment safeguard, never anticipated such depraved behavior in the White House, but there is no question that such acts are covered, despite White House rhetoric to the contrary.
- Clinton says he has "repented," but his lawyers dismiss the entire matter as just "private (although inappropriate) sex," not impeachable offenses. But the report adds more evidence to a lifelong pattern of reckless sexual behavior, abuse of power and repeated acts of sexual harass-ment. Clinton's "trooper bodyguards...testify to [his] extramarital relationships with literally hundreds of women÷" while Arkansas Governor. "There would hardly be an opportunity he would let slip to have sex." (Robert Morris, Partners in Power, Holt & Co., 1996, p. 440).
- It's not just 'private' sex. Just one instance of adultery is grounds for military court marshal. Yet Clinton's morbid sex addiction is quite different from a single act of marital unfaithfulness. The President's positions on abortion, homosexuality and other matters of public morality are obviously linked to his private immorality. His attendant lack of judgment also disqualifies him from conducting foreign policy or serving as commander-in-chief of our Armed Forces.
- If the President truly repented he would eagerly resign and seek God's healing for himself, his family and the country. He would get real help (a structured, long-term program of moral-spiritual therapy) and embark upon the long, grueling road of deep repentance, recovery and restoration. If he really loves America, he will not subject her to prolonged, bitter warfare. But Clinton's lawyers, asked about resignation, said ''absolutely not, no way, absolutely not, never.''
- Revealing the depth of his repentance, Clinton has instructed his lawyers "to mount a vigorous defense, using all available appropriate arguments." Clinton's top lawyer, David Kendall, says one such argument will be that, "if answers are÷literally truthful but misleading, there is no perjury as a matter of law, no matter how misleading the testimony is intended to be." Other Clinton hired hands (some taxpayer-funded) continue to pursue a "scorched earth policy" - digging up and publicizing dirt from the past of individuals tasked with responsibility in the impeachment process.
A Right To Immorality?
A Right to Lie?
The President has made what amounts to a declaration of war over the "right" to private sexual immorality, pitting those who hold to biblical morality against those who hold to the humanistic values of the sexual revolution. He will use his largely tax-paid legal machine both to try to save himself and to press the American sexual revolution beyond yet another threshold, creating and defending a new "right" for married men to commit shameless acts of adultery without consequences. If he succeeds, the impact upon our youth, upon public and private morals, and upon already-disintegrating American families is unthinkable. Two more years of divisive, rancorous legal/political warfare could tear America apart. Furthermore, our international enemies are likely to take advantage of our internal turmoil to embark upon reckless political and/or military escapades that could have serious consequences for the entire world.
Resignation, The Only Repentant Path
A growing chorus of Democrats and big-city newspapers are calling for the President's resig-nation. One paper explained it well:
"The American people seem doomed to a guided tour of hell in days to come÷ Only one person can spare us that nightmare. By resigning, President Clinton would be surrendering the office he worked his entire life to achieve÷Yet, by making that sacrifice, Clinton would save the nation from a protracted trauma÷ A president more concerned with the national interest than his own self-preservation would realize that resignation is his only responsible option. Sadly, Bill Clinton has shown himself incapable of such sacrifice÷his character has been defined by his crass selfishness. It is that trait - perjury and adultery are merely its symptoms - that has rendered him unfit to continue as president÷ Congressional Democrats are already abandoning the nominal head of their party. At some point in the next few weeks, they may go to him and ask him to remove his blindfold and look honestly at the ugly spectacle that he has wrought. And maybe then he will find the courage to do what is best for his country" (The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, 9/13/98).
Other Prayer Focuses
- Pray for Bill Clinton, that he might truly REPENT! Pray, too, that he will RESIGN! May he do what is right for his family and the American people (Jn 12:24-25; Acts 17:30-31; 1 Cor 6:7-11; 1 Thes 4:3-8; 1 Tim 5:8; 2 Ptr 2:9, 13-14).
- Pray that Congress, Republicans and Democrats will BE STRONG and COURAGEOUS. May they rise above politics as usual and fulfill their duty to IMPEACH the President (Josh 1:7; Lk 17:10; 1 Tim 5:19-22).
- Pray the American people, too, will LEARN from this terrible chapter and insist upon moral character as a prerequisite for holding high office. May God grant VICTORY to godly candidates in the November 3rd elections (Ex 18:21; Neh 9:27-28; Ps 1:1-3; 65:4-5; Is 32:1-2).
Return to Welcome Page