THE CAPITOL HILL PRAYER ALERT
July 21, 2000
"Let everyone who is Godly pray to you while you may be found" (Psalm 32:6)
GEORGIA & U.S. SENATE
MOURN LOSS OF COVERDELL
Democrat Likely To Be Named To Seat
- Senator Paul Coverdell (R-GA) died unexpectedly Tuesday, July 18, in an Atlanta hospital following surgery for a cerebral hemorrhage. Upon hearing of his death, both sides of the aisle in the U.S. Senate observed a moment of silence in memory of their sixty-one year old colleague. On the other side of the Capitol, the U.S. House clerk read a resolution honoring his work.
- Paul Weyrich, President of the Free Congress Foundation, stated, "America has lost one of its finest public servants with the unexpected death of Senator Paul Coverdell of Georgia÷ a true man of integrity in a city where that quality is greatly lacking. May God rest his soul."
- House Speaker Dennis Hastert gave tribute to Coverdell saying, "He was a humble man who brought to the public discourse good ideas and common sense solutions. He didn't care who received the credit. He just wanted to make America a better place to live."
- Sen. Max Cleland (D-GA) called Coverdell "÷a gentleman - a Georgia peach in every sense." Many Senators were visibly shaken as they gave tribute to their colleague. "This is the most depressing thing that's happened to us in a long, long time," commented Sen. Don Nickles (R-OK).
- Coverdell's death makes the GOP margin in the Senate 54 to 45. Since it is expected that Georgia Gov. Roy Barnes will appoint a fellow Democrat to replace Coverdell in the Senate, that margin will become even smaller.
- Lord, we pray for the family and friends of Senator Paul Coverdell. 'Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted.' (Matt 5:4)
- Cause Gov. Barnes to appoint a righteous man to Sen. Coverdell's seat. May he be JUST and rule in the FEAR OF GOD. (2 Sam 2:2-4)
- 'Lord, make me to know mine end, and the measure of my days, what it is: that I may know how frail I am. Behold, thou hast made my days as an handbreadth; and mine age is as nothing before thee: verily every man at his best state is altogether vanity. Selah.' (Psalm 39:4,5)
"Please check back with us as new matters for prayer are posted each week. By joining together with others, the power of our prayers are multiplied.
Please feel free to print and share these with your prayer group or pastor.