THE CAPITOL HILL PRAYER ALERT
June 15, 2000
"Let everyone who is Godly pray to you while you may be found" (Psalm 32:6)
CONGRESSMEN PLEAD FOR SUDAN'S PERSECUTED CHRISTIANS
Will the Church in American Stand With Them?
Is this not the fast that I have chosenÍto undo the heavy burdens, To let the oppressed go free, and that you break every yoke? Is it not to share your bread with the hungry, And that you bring to your house the poor who are cast out; when you see the naked, that you cover himÍ(Is 58:1-12).
Last week Rep. Tom Tancredo (R-CO), Sen. Sam Brownback (R-KS), Rep. Don Payne (D-NJ), Rep. Frank Wolf (R-VA), Rep. Ed Royce (R-CA), Rep. Ben Gilman (R-NY), and others, held a press conference to implore President Clinton and America to take notice of the epochal genocide and enslavement of Christians now taking place in Sudan. Due to their valiant efforts, resolutions and relief appropriations have been passed, but the Clinton Administration, seeing no groundswell of concern from the American people and unwilling to buck the U.N., remains a bottleneck keeping any real relief from reaching the Sudanese Christians.
- Tancredo, praising students from his home state, said, "One Colorado fourth grade class has done more for the enslaved people of Sudan than the entire U.S. Government." They raised $50,000 to liberate (at a price of $50 each) women and children who were slaves in Sudan.
- Many Americans first learned of the plight of Christians in Sudan during the Clinton campaign to sell the Kosovo war. Clinton used greatly exaggerated statistics to convince Congress and the American people that Serbia was perpetrating genocide against Kosovo Muslims and, hence, U.S. intervention was necessary. A reporter familiar with the situation in Sudan (making an obvious comparison with the Serbian problem) asked, "Why [then], for 20 years, has the U.S. almost wholly ignored the documented genocide in Sudan?" Secretary of State Madeline Albright glibly answered, Sudan "is not marketable to the American people."
- The militant Muslim government of Sudan came to power via military coup in 1989. It imposed Islamic law, with its brutal amputations and harsh executions (applied to non-Muslims with excess). Adults are forced to convert to Islam and strict Islamic training for children is compulsory. Classified a terrorist state, Sudan has harbored some of America's most dangerous enemies. Under this regime, over two million non-Muslim Sudanese civilians (mostly Christians but also moderate Muslims) have been massacred. Hospitals are bombed, church booby-trapped with landmines, and the government has intentionally induced famine and starvation. Members of the Muslim militia have forced tens of thousands into slavery -- the victims are mostly women and children who are traded like cattle on the open market. Churches have been invaded and their women and girls systematically gang raped.
- The Sudan People's Liberation Army (SPLA), a well-organized pro-independence militia, fights to keep southern Sudan free, providing what protection it can to those who dwell there.
- 4.3 million Sudanese are now refugees. Their crops, businesses and livelihoods have been completely destroyed and they are now either starving or living on the edge of starvation. The Sudanese government, backed by the U.N., keeps food and other relief from reaching the South. U.S. food is routinely diverted to feed the Muslim army. Christian relief groups with U.N. accreditation have been told to deliver neither food nor Bibles to the South, or lose their accreditation. Many of the best known mainstream Christian agencies have given in rather than lose other U.N. contracts. The Clinton Administration insists, too, upon complying with the U.N.'s policy of non-interference.
Lord, INTERVENE on behalf of your Persecuted Children. RESTRAIN the barbaric Muslim regime in Sudan. CAUSE Your Church in America to ARISE & HELP our brethren. Grant Congress & the President the WISDOM and WILL to TAKE ACTION on their behalf (Ps 94:20-23; Pr 12:6; 24:11-121Jn 3:15-17; Rev 6:9-10; Rev 7:13-8:5).
"Please check back with us as new matters for prayer are posted each week. By joining together with others, the power of our prayers are multiplied.
Please feel free to print and share these with your prayer group or pastor.