Democrats Push Gingrich To Pull
Burton From Probe
Will Republicans Cow?
Posted May 14, 1998
- House Minority Leader Richard Gephardt (D-MO) and Rep. Henry Waxman (D-CA) have called upon House Speaker Newt Gingrich (R-GA) to remove Rep. Dan Burton (R-IN) from his position as chairman of the House Government Reform and
Oversight Committee. Burton, who has pursued his committee's investigation of 1996 White House and Democrat fundraising irregularities with vigor and focus, has faced continuous attack from the Democrats. But recent attacks have come
from Republicans, too. Gingrich has publicly stood by Burton but has sent signals that he is sympathetic with Burton's attackers.
- Burton released to the press taped excerpts from hours of jailhouse phone conversations between imprisoned Clinton Arkansas crony, former Assistant Attorney General Webster Hubbell and his wife Suzy and others. The tapes reveal the White House pressured Suzy (with implied threat of losing her
government job) to keep Hubbell from action that could embroil Hillary Clinton in new publicity or court action. Hubbell said Ken Starr may be investigating Hillary Clinton for double-billing, the crime for which he was convicted and jailed. Numerous other excerpts put the Clintons or the Administration in a very bad light.
- Democrats attacked Burton for releasing selected portions of the tapes, excerpts unfavorable to the Clintons and Democrats. Burton responded immediately by releasing all the unedited tapes. When Democrats found some favorable to the Clintons and Democrats, their attacks became all-the-more
fierce. Tasting blood, Democrats repeatedly pronounced Burton as "disqualified," by an earlier faux pas in which he called President Clinton a "scumbag."
- Called on the carpet by Newt Gingrich, Burton wrote an apology to House Republicans and, under orders from the Speaker, requested the resignation of his chief investigator, David Bossie (an honorable, hardworking, effective investigator). Burton answered questions from Republican colleagues in a closed-door session during which he was rebuked by Gingrich.
- Shameless Clinton defenders, Democrats on Burton's committee have consistently delayed, stonewalled and hindered the committee investigation. They have presently conspired to prevent Burton from obtaining immunity in exchange for testimony from three key witnesses in the probe. Burton has
indicated that part of his investigation may be transferred to House Oversight Committee chaired by Rep. Bill Thomas (R-CA) where a smaller percentage of Democrats cannot win a vote on the immunity.
- Democrats have strongly objected to Burton's practice of feeding new evidence to Independent Counsel Ken Starr.
- Democrats have engaged in a wicked effort to divert focus away from the facts via endless personal attacks on those tasked with uncovering truth. There is an obvious conspiracy to obstruct justice and keep the truth from the American people. Prominent figures in the White House, Congress and the Media spew volumes of unrestrained pejorative remarks and accusations against Ken Starr, Dan Burton and others with seeming impunity. But if one of these sincere investigators reveals a slip of the tongue, a glint of the eye or some
other appropriate human reaction to the ever-growing pile of evidence of corruption in the Clinton White House and the Democrat fund-raising machine, he is treated worse than a murderer by Democrats. Unlike the Democrats, some Republicans are quick to trash their very best men when a minor weakness or failing is exposed.
- Dan Burton and his ousted assistant, David Bossie, are heroes. Burton is among a few Republicans in Congress who are serious about translating the plethora of damning evidence against criminals within the Clinton Administration into some logical application of justice. As with Ken Starr, Burton needs our continued prayers.
- Pray God will DEFEND Chairman Dan Burton, STRENGTHEN his arms & ADVANCE his investigation. May God SILENCE those who use lies and demagoguery to obscure truth and obstruct justice (Ps 40:4; 51:6; 57:1-3; 58:3-6; 96:10-13; Pr 12:17-22).
- May God-fearing Republicans and Democrats in Congress UNITE to expose every instance of criminal conduct and deliver JUSTICE JUSTICE to the American People (Nu 32:23; Ps 133:1, 3b; Pr 11:21; Is 59:4,9,14; Lk 12:3).
News & Commentary: Clippings & Excerpts
Other Prayer Focuses
Return to Welcome Page