THE CAPITOL HILL PRAYER ALERT
May 12, 2000
"Let everyone who is Godly pray to you while you may be found" (Psalm 32:6)
HOUSE CHAMPION UNDER ATTACK
Praying Christians Must Rise to Tom DeLay's Defense
The godly have been swept from the landÍmen lie in wait to shed blood; each hunts his brother with a net. [Their] hands are skilled in doing evil; the ruler demands gifts, the judge accepts bribes, the powerful dictate what they desire-- they all conspire together. (Micah 7:2-3)
I will say of the LORD, "He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust." Surely he will save you from the fowler's snare. (Ps 91:2-3a)
Last week the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, led by Rep. Patrick Kennedy (D-RI), filed a lawsuit against House Majority Whip Tom Delay (R-TX), accusing him of racketeering and extortion in his fundraising efforts for conservative causes and candidates. DeLay, a committed Christian, has been a singular voice for righteousness in Washington, often standing for truth and principle long after his weaker brethren have abandoned the cause.
- The DCCC sued DeLay under the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act (RICO), a statute originally intended by lawmakers to help authorities break up drug cartels and organized crime syndicates. But liberals, with strong support from the Clinton Justice Department, have used the statute to target and punish pro-life activists. The law provides for severe punishments, which were intended to debilitate the mobsters and drug pushers who were the original targets of RICO.
- The Democrats have accused DeLay of "peddling influence" in exchange for donations and of establishing tax-exempt groups to "launder" soft money from unidentified contributors. The suit is based on innuendo, hearsay evidence from third and fourth parties, and newspaper articles. Washington insiders, Democrat and Republican alike, know this is an audacious and hypocritical "smear job," brute politics at its worst. Indeed, Democrats over many years have made an art form of the very things they accuse DeLay of doing.
- Conservative patriarch Paul Weyrich says of DeLay, "It was he, more than any other Member, who saw to it that Bill Clinton was impeached Í This is payback time for DeLay."
- Besides his strong Christian and conservative views and the excellence with which he fulfills his leadership role as Majority Whip, Democrats hate DeLay because he been extremely effective at raising money for Republicans and for conservative causes. His efforts have markedly reduced the odds that the Democrats will win back the House of Representatives in November.
- DeLay, a throwback to the sons of Issachar and Zebulun in the Bible (1 Chr 12:32-33), remains composed and unshaken. This diversionary tactic will not distract him from his high call.
Democrats will not win the lawsuit, but they will probably succeed at costing DeLay and others hundreds of thousands of dollars in legal expenses necessary to answer their false accusations. Their real goal is to blacken Rep. DeLay's reputation at this historic moment when character and morals are of unusually great concern to voters. Polls show that in some races as many as 72% of voters intend to choose their candidates in November on the basis of character alone. If Democrats can taint DeLay or other principled Republicans with a morals rap, even if concocted, their own tainted leaders, such as Bill Clinton and Al Gore, won't look quite so bad.
Lord, Teach Us to Pray:
- Heavenly Father, THANK YOU for Rep. Tom DeLay and his God-fearing helpers. PROTECT his heart and reputation from every harm. Grant him STRENGTH and even greater CONFIDENCE & FAITH! (Ps 12:3-7; 25:19-21; 59:1b-4; 84:7; 140:1-8)
- NULLIFY this wicked attack and REWARD Delay's accusers by giving DeLay even greater SUCCESS in all he does. (Gen 39:3b, 23b; 1 Sam 18:14-15; Ps 1:3)
"Please check back with us as new matters for prayer are posted each week. By joining together with others, the power of our prayers are multiplied.
Please feel free to print and share these with your prayer group or pastor.