THE CAPITOL HILL PRAYER ALERT
April 28, 2000
"Let everyone who is Godly pray to you while you may be found" (Psalm 32:6)
RAID ON ELIAN SHOCKS AMERICA
Yet Poll Says 57% Approve of Clinton-Reno Assault
Americans were shocked by TV images of the pre-dawn government raid on the Miami home of Elian Gonzalez' Cuban-American family. Paramilitary-garbed INS agents, armed with submachine guns, broke down doors while shouting profanities and threatening to shoot. Then they ripped little Elian from the arms of the man who rescued him from waters off the coast of Florida last Thanksgiving.
- The raid came just two days after a federal appeals court extended an injunction blocking the Clinton Administration from returning Elian to Cuba, and giving Elian and his relatives time to make the legal case that Elian should receive permanent asylum. Elian's mother and 10 other Cuban refugees drowned after their tiny boat capsized at sea en route to the U.S. Elian miraculously survived for two days before being rescued by fishermen.
- Lazaro Gonzalez, Elian's uncle courageously defied the Clinton-Reno Justice Department by saying he would not give the boy up voluntarily without due process of law. He and his family were on the phone negotiating with Janet Reno when the raid took place.
- Christians are divided, some believing the father's wishes should override those of Elian's American family, who want to honor his mother's wishes by keeping Elian in America, not returning him to an atheistic dictatorship which claims ownership of all children. But Christians cannot accept the Clinton-Reno reasoning -- "the ends justify the means"-- that led to their tyrannic action. This case is compli-cated. It's lawful disposition can only take place in the setting of a family court where Elian's rights and needs will be carefully analyzed, where all sides have legal representation and are able to present their case. Elian's fate should not be determined by Bill Clinton's wishes or by public opinion polls.
- Janet Reno, backed by President Clinton, lawlessly employed raw police power to kidnap Elian, wholly disregarding his human rights as a refugee and the constitutional rights of his American family. Even super-liberal Harvard law professor Alan Dershowitz wrote, "[The Justice Department's] actions confirm a dangerous precedent: that the executive branch Öhas the authority to break into a citizen's home in a contested dispute without giving that citizen the opportunity first to present his side to a court for resolutionÖ It could have asked a court to order the Miami family to turn the child over to his father. Instead the Justice DepartmentÖissued its own order and imposed its own deadlines. Under American law no citizen has an obligation to obey the executive unless its order is lawful and backed up by judicial authority. By enforcing its own order, without the judicial imprimatur of a court mandate, the Justice Department has reinforced a precedent that endangers the rights of all American citizens" (emph. ours).
- The Fourth Amendment to the Constitution states, "The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describ-ing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."
- House Republicans, with the support of some Democrats, are demanding a congressional investigation. Elian's father has appealed to the U.S. courts for sole guardianship over his son.
The Clinton-Reno action is typical of an administration that will forever be remembered for:
1) Its history of domestic tyranny: Waco, Ruby Ridge, pro-life witch hunts, harassment of Christian and conservative groups (IRS, FCC and FEC), and other criminal abuses of power;
2) Its ideological sympathy with communist dictators, often rewarding those who commit unthinkable atrocities (e.g., North Korea -- nuclear reactors, and China - missile technology, super-computers, "most favored nation status," etc.). In a similar situation, Clinton jailed the "Golden Venture" boat refugees for years after they had risked their lives to seek asylum in the U.S. after fleeing Red China and its policy of forced abortion; andÖ
3) Its "It Takes a Village" ideology regarding family, which mimics the communist idea of state ownership of children. The Clinton administration fully defends its kidnapping of Elian with the ultimate intention of sending him back to his communist state "parents."
Americans seem to have forgotten the meaning of Patrick Henry's important words, "Give me liberty or give me death!" Younger Americans have no concept of the hellishness of life under communism, nor do they understand the accuracy of Ronald Reagan's characterization of the Soviet Union as an "evil empire." An up-to-date knowledge of the evil and brutality of the Cuban communist regime, however, is what stirs the Cuban-American community in Miami. Our country's extraordinary prosperity may have dulled the minds of some older Americans, but how can they forget the newsreel images from the 1950s that illuminated the evils of communism -- images such as the East German woman who, rushing upon the Berlin Wall, flung her infant child over the wall to safety and liberty only seconds before a spate of machine gun fire left her bloodied and dead on the communist street. Would any freedom-loving American have approved returning that child to that mother's estranged husband, who, for whatever reason, preferred to live under communism? NEVER! But these are different times.
Little Elian's fate will be righteously resolved only if the Lord intervenes.
Lord, Teach Us to Pray:
- Heavenly Father, grant healing and comfort to little Elian who has suffered the traumatic loss of his mother, his own struggle at sea, the horrible raid upon his American home, and now, the battles in which his families are embroiled. Cause these experiences somehow to produce in Elian a love for freedom that will outlive this hour and endure for the rest of his life (Ps 103:2-6; 147:3; Lk 4:18-19; Jas 2:12).
- Lord, take this matter out of the hands of the Clinton Administration. May Lazaro Gonzales' family obtain justice and redress for the violation of their constitu-tional rights. AWAKEN the American people to reject all such acts of tyranny (Neh 4:14; Ps 12:5; 72:4; 107:39-43; Pr 28:16a; Is 58:6; Jer 21:12; 22:3).
- Guide the courts, Lord. May your will be done in Elian's life. Grant Elian's father, Juan Miguel Gonzales, the desire and will to be free from Cuban communism. And use this entire saga to remind and to teach the American people afresh about the tyranny and oppression of communism (Jer 34:15-17; 2 Cor 3:17; Gal 5:1; Jas 1:23-25).
Prayer for Justices
Sandra Day O'Connor & Anthony Kennedy
Friday our Nine U.S. Supreme Court justices took preliminary votes over Stenberg v. Carhart (the partial birth abortion case) and Boy Scouts of America v. James Dale (the homosexual Boy Scout case). In the weeks ahead they will write their conflicting opinions on the case. After much writing and thinking, they will take a final vote and issue their ruling in late June or early July. Any justice could change his or her mind before their ruling is made public.
Christians who heard the oral arguments say the partial birth abortion case did not go our way. The outcome hinges upon Sandra Day O'Connor and Anthony Kennedy.
Likely votes: Renquist, Scalia and Thomas will support the state's right to ban partial birth abortions. Ginsburg, Stevens, Breyer and Souter will oppose bans; O'Connor's and Kennedy's sentiments are uncertain.
Court watchers were more optimistic about the homosexual case, believing that the Court will uphold the Scouts' freedom to determine standards for its members and leaders. But this case must not be taken for granted.
Please pray often over these cases and especially for
Justices O'Connor and Kennedy.
"Please check back with us as new matters for prayer are posted each week. By joining together with others, the power of our prayers are multiplied.
Please feel free to print and share these with your prayer group or pastor.