THE CAPITOL HILL PRAYER ALERT
March 22, 2000
RED CHINA THREATENS TO NUKE
"Let everyone who is Godly pray to you while you may be found" (Psalm 32:6)
TAIWAN AND USA
- The Haowangjiao Weekly, a Red Chinese military newspaper, announced how China might take over the island of Taiwan in a special 16-page issue of the newspaper published just days after the presidential elections in Taiwan. "The United States will not sacrifice 200 million Americans for 20 million Taiwanese," stated the article. To preserve a "One China" policy, the People's Liberation Army (PLA) plans might include a "neutron bomb attack on Taiwan and a nuclear showdown with the United States," according to the publication.
- Taiwan's new president-elect, Chen Shui-bian, made an offer of a peace summit to Beijing on Monday, March 20. Chen's invitation would be on the basis of equality between the island and the mainland. But China's President Jiang Zemin turned down the offer, stating, on China's official radio network, that he would welcome talks only if they were on the basis of the "One China" principle.
- Last week House Majority Whip Rep. Tom DeLay (R-TX) stated, "I believe how we handle the emerging empire ruled from Beijing is the leading national security issue of our time." DeLay told those gathered at the Center for Strategic and International Studies that the Clinton administration had treated democratic Taiwan with "a thinly veiled disdain" and accused the prevailing foreign policy toward Beijing as "embrac[ing] a level of appeasement that would have embarrassed Neville Chamberlain." He was comparing the current U.S. policy toward Red China with former British Prime Minister Chamberlain's infamous appeasement of Adolph Hitler.
- In a three-way race on Saturday, March 18, Taiwan elected Chen Shui-bian by a small majority. Born in 1951 to a poor farm-labor family in southern Taiwan, Chen became the nation's top ranked elementary school student. After graduating at the top of his law class at National Taiwan University, he began his political career by defending dissident leaders following a 1979 protest against martial law. Later, Chen was incarcerated for eight months on politically related charges. Chen was a member of Taiwan's parliament from 1989-1994 before being elected as mayor of Taipei. His wife, Wu-Shu-jen, was paralyzed from the waist down in 1985 when an attempt to kill Chen was botched. Wu-Shu-jen has been a key political advisor to Chen during his presidential campaign.
Lord, Teach Us to Pray:
- Almighty Father, AWAKEN Your people to the danger of appeasing Your enemies. Cause the Church to SEEK You and PRAY for Your Protection (Deut 4:29;1 Chr 28:9; Isa 55:5-7; Mk 13:32-37; 1 Thess 5:5-7).
- All-Powerful Lord, we ask that China be RESTRAINED from attacking both Taiwan and the United States. STOP and CONFUSE the evil plans of the PLA. Grant WISDOM to President-elect Chen to govern Taiwan justly (Deut 33:27; Ps 9:7-10; Is 25:1-5).
- ENCOURAGE Congress to increase our defenses against the Chinese missile build-up. And may our trust be in You, Lord God Almighty! AMEN! (Luke 14:28-32; John 10:10-16)
"Please check back with us as new matters for prayer are posted each week. By joining together with others, the power of our prayers are multiplied.
Please feel free to print and share these with your prayer group or pastor.