THE CAPITOL HILL PRAYER ALERT
February 25, 2000
MARRIAGE PROTECTION RESTS
"Let everyone who is Godly pray to you while you may be found" (Psalm 32:6)
ON FOURTEEN LITTLE WORDS
CA PROPOSITION 22 TO BE DECIDED MARCH 7
- On March 7, Californians will vote not only on their party's choice for presidential candidate but on whether the traditional institution of marriage will be protected. If Proposition 22, known as the Protection of Marriage Initiative, passes in California, fourteen little words will be added to the California Family Code: "Only marriage between a man and a woman is valid or recognized in California." But those fourteen "little" words will have a massive impact on our country.
- The initiative affirms the irreplaceable role of marriage between men and women. It does not take away anyone's rights and it does not attack any group or organization.
- California is considered a bellwether state on social trends; therefore, this initiative will have national impact. A "yes" vote in California will validate the traditional family in every state in the union. Nearly 700,000 registered voters already have said "yes" to Proposition 22 by signing petitions to place the initiative on the March 7th primary ballot.
- Advertising against Proposition 22 has increased in the last few weeks. Yet, polls are showing that these ads have had little effect on support for the initiative. The Public Policy Institute of California, a non-partisan organization, released their poll: 57 percent support Proposition 22, 38 percent are opposed, and 5 percent are undecided.
- The Rev. H.B. London, Jr., vice president of pastoral ministries at Focus on the Family, stated, "We believe that the undecided vote is the silent church." Rev. London has conducted a series of meetings in California over the past few weeks, with thousands of pastors in attendance. The number one topic of discussion at these meetings has been the Protection of Marriage Initiative. "Bottom line, if church people stay home, we're gonna lose," remarked Randy Thomasson, Campaign for California Families (FOTF Citizen Issues Alert, Feb. 23, 2000).
- March 5 has been set aside as a day for churches to pray for the defense of marriage.
Please Join Us In Agreeing Prayer:
Lord, Father God, we thank You for California taking the initiative to protect the sacred role of marriage in our society. We ask for Your people to come out in force in California to vote "YES" for Proposition 22. May those fourteen "little" words be cherished by the voters of California and send a huge message from coast to coast. Cause the victory of Proposition 22 to spread across America. In the Mighty Name of Jesus, AMEN! (Gen 2:21-25; Ps 1:all; Prov 18:22; Mk 10:8,9; 1 Cor 7:2; Col 3:18,19; Heb 13:4)
"Please check back with us as new matters for prayer are posted each week. By joining together with others, the power of our prayers are multiplied.
Please feel free to print and share these with your prayer group or pastor.