Impeachment Hope Growing!
Clinton Lawyers Have Two Days For Defense
Posted December 7, 1998
Rep. Tom DeLay (R-TX) said Sunday, "If we voted today, the president would be impeached." DeLay, the unchallenged House Majority Whip, is known for his proficiency in predicting House votes, an important part of his job
description. House Judiciary Committee Chairman Henry Hyde granted White House and Clinton lawyers two marathon days (30 hours total) to mount a legal defense before the Committee prior to members voting later this week.
After debate on the House floor, the full House will vote on impeachment next
While hopes have improved for impeachment of this President, moods in Washington undulate like the stock market. This is America's defining moment! While Majority Whip DeLay says only 5 Republicans are likely to vote against impeachment and that 5 Democrats will vote for it, anything could happen. It will be the repentance, prayer and responsible citizen action of God's people that will determine the final vote. The next two weeks should be a time for fasting and prayer for Christians who care about their children's future and the future of our Republic.
Please join with us in prayers of agreement (Mt 18:19-20):
- Clinton lawyers fought to obtain several days in which to make their case, an effort some believe was intended to prolong the hearings and prevent any full house vote during the 105th Congress. The newly-elected Congress, which
convenes in January, would be decidedly kinder to Clinton.
- Two White House lawyers will call 14 witnesses who will argue that removing the President from office is too severe a penalty. But Chairman Hyde, standing by stacks of boxes containing 60,000 pages of evidence, told the American
people, "We haven't heard one word about evidence repudiating or rejecting the facts"
- As part of its strategy, White House witnesses will argue that impeachment articles approved this year will not be valid when the new Congress convenes in January. Insiders say Clinton lawyers will meticulously avoid attacking Ken
Starr, but will vigorously attack his work and findings.
- House Judiciary Committee GOP and Democrat chief counsels will both make closing arguments on Thursday, the members will consider the articles of impeachment Thursday evening and early Friday. The Committee will vote Friday.
Experts believe a straight party-line vote will end in a recommend-ation to the full House of at least one Article of Impeachment (most likely regarding perjury).
Other Prayer Focuses
- Heavenly Father, grant your Church REPENTANCE and a Spirit of Prayer. DELIVER OUR CHILDREN from the rule of immoral and deceitful men (2 Chr 7:14; Dan 9:13-19; Hos 4:1-9; Pr 10: 29-32; 11:11; 12:5-7; 19:27-29).
- Hear the prayers of Your people, Oh Lord. STOP the MOUTHS and EXPOSE the DECEIT of those who LOVE & DEFEND INIQUITY (Ps 108:40-43; 109:2-4).
- Oh Lord, You are the Righteous Judge. Display Your TRUTH, RIGHTEOUSNESS & JUSTICE in the Impeachment Hearings this week, the Votes on Friday and next week! (Dt 32:4; Pr 17:15; Ps 7:9-17; 37:6-16; 100:5)
Return to Welcome Page