Thursday's Vote Still Too Close To Call!
GodŪs People Are Stirring, May Make A Decisive Difference!
Posted December 15, 1998
He who justifies the wicked, and he who condemns the just, Both of them alike
are an abomination to the LORD (Pr 17:15).
REPUBLICANS WHO HAVE ANNOUNCED THEY PLAN TO VOTE AGAINST IMPEACHMENT
- Amid increasingly bleak reports, President Clinton flatly rejected Rep. Henry HydeŪs appeal for his resignation, telling reporters in Israel he has žno
intention of quitting...Ó and that he has made ževery effort to make every compromise with Congress.Ó
- Vice President Gore cancelled his pre-presidential campaign visit to New Hampshire to stay in Washington and lobby on his bossŪs behalf. Undecided Congressmen, Republican and Democrat, have received calls from presidential aides offering thinly-veiled bribes of assistance with the membersŪ parochial legislative wish-lists. Cabinet members, top Executive Branch appointees, influential Clinton supporters in labor and industry and various liberal activists have waged an all-out lobbying effort to save the Clinton Presidency. Even Hollywood actor Robert DeNiro was enlisted to make telephone
calls against impeachment to members of Congress yesterday.
- Anti-impeachment rallies have been held and are scheduled in various parts of the country. People for the American Way established a toll-free number for Clinton supporters to call their Congressmen (130,000 callers used it on Monday alone). On Thursday, former NOW president Eleanor Smeal and other pro-abort activists will join Rev. Jesse Jackson in an anti-impeachment žprayer vigilÓ on the Capitol steps.
- An ABC-Washington Post poll surprised pollsters by showing that a strong majority of Americans believe Clinton is guilty of perjury (8 in 10) and obstruction of justice (6 in 10). Fifty-one percent said he žis still trying to mislead the public.Ó While a majority (61%) would still prefer the president not be impeached, only 29% said they would be žangryÓ if he was forced by Congress to leave office. A slim majority said the President should be charged with perjury and forced to stand trial after he leaves office.
- Today, Rep. Jack Quinn (R-NY, previously declared "against") and Rep. John McHugh (R-NY) announced that they will vote for impeachment. On Monday, undecided Republican Representatives Frank Lobiondo (NJ), Jim Walsh (NY), Zach
Wamp (TN), Charles Bass (NH), and Rick Hill (MT) announced their intentions to vote "for". Rep. Christopher Shays (R-CT, previously "against"), told constituents he žwas willing to reconsiderÓ his position. He also demanded a
face-to-face meeting with the president and White House Chief of Staff John Podesta set up the meeting for Wednesday. Others, while making no declarations yet, gave clear indications they are leaning toward impeachment. Two hundred and eighteen votes (out of 435) are needed to impeach. Since 3 Democrats say they will vote for impeachment, 14 of the 228 House Republicans must vote
against for the impeachment vote to fail.
- Rep. Henry Hyde will lead the impeachment fight on the House floor and House members will have just six hours to debate before the vote is taken this Thursday, December 17th, or Friday, December 18th.
- Yesterday, House Majority Whip Tom DeLay said it could still go either way, that some members may change their minds at the last minute, literally žwhile walking to the House floor to vote.Ó Listed below is an updated list of those who have either not declared, or who may yet switch.
(State) House Member, Voice Phone / Fax / Email/Internet
(CT) Chris Shays - 202-225-5541 / 202-225-9629 / firstname.lastname@example.org
(IN) Mark Souder - 202-225-4436 / 202-225-3479 / email@example.com
(NY) Amory Houghton - 202-225-3161 / 202-225-5574 / firstname.lastname@example.org
(NY) Peter King - 202-225-7896 / 202-226-2279 / email@example.com
UNDECIDED REPUBLICANS WHO MAY VOTE AGAINST IMPEACHMENT
(AR) Jay Dickey - 202-225-3772 / 202-225-1314 / firstname.lastname@example.org
(AZ) Jim Kolbe - 202-225 2542 / 202-225-0378 / email@example.com
(CA) Brian Bilbray - 202-225-2040 / 202-225 - 2948 /
(CA) Steve Horn - 202-225 6676 / 202-226-1012 / Stephen.Horn@mail.house.gov
(CA) Tom Campbell - 202-225-2631 / 202-225-6788 / firstname.lastname@example.org
(CT) Nancy Johnson - 202-225 4476 / 202-225-4488 / www.house.gov/writerep/
(DE) Mike Castle - 202-225-4165 / 202-225-2719 / Delaware@mail.house.gov
(FL) Clay Shaw - 202-225-3026 / 202-225-8398 / www.house.gov/writerep/
(IA) Greg Ganske - 202-225-4426 / 202-225-3193 / Rep.Ganske@mail.house.gov
(IA) Jim Leach - 202-225-6576 / 202-226-1278 / email@example.com
(IL) Ray LaHood - 202-225-6201 / 202-225-9249 / www.house.gov/writerep/
(IL) John Porter - 202-225-4835 / not public / www.house.gov/porter/wyr.htm
(IL) John Shimkus - 202-225-5271 / 202-225-5880 / firstname.lastname@example.org
(LA) Billy Tauzin - 202-225-4031 / 202-225-0563 / www.house.gov/writerep/
(MD) Wayne Gilchrest - 202-225-5311 / 202-225-0254 /www.house.gov/writerep/
(MD) Connie Morella - 202-225-5341 / 202-225-1389 / email@example.com
(NJ) Bob Franks - 202-225-5361 / 202-225-9460 / firstname.lastname@example.org
(NJ) Marge Roukema - 202-225-4465 / 202-225-9048 / www.house.gov/writerep/
(NM) Joe Skeen - 202-225-2365 / 202-225-9599 / email@example.com
(NM) Heather Wilson - 202-225-6316 / 202-225-4975 / firstname.lastname@example.org
(NY) Sherwood Boehlert - 202-225-3665 / 202-225-1891 /
(NY) Michael Forbes - 202-225-3826 / 202-225-3143 / email@example.com
(NY) Benjamin Gilman - 202-225-3776 / 202-225-2541 / firstname.lastname@example.org
(NY) Sue Kelly - 202-225-5441 / 202-225-3289 / email@example.com
(NY) Rick Lazio - 202-225 3335 / 202-225-4669 / firstname.lastname@example.org
(OH) David Hobson - 202-225-4324 / 202-225-1984 / www.house.gov/hobson/
(OH) Steven LaTourette - 202-225-5731 / 202-225-3307 / www.house.gov/writerep/
(OH) Bob Ney - 202-225-6265 / 202-225-3394 / email@example.com
(PA) Jon Fox - 202-225-6111 / 202-225-3155 / firstname.lastname@example.org
(WI) Scott Klug - 202-225 2906 / 202-225-6942 / email@example.com
DEMOCRATS WHO HAVE SAID THEY WILL VOTE FOR IMPEACHMENT
(MS) Gene Taylor - 202-225-5772 / 202-225-7074 / firstname.lastname@example.org
(TX) Ralph Hall - 202-225-6673 / 202-225-3332 / email@example.com
(VA) Virgil Goode - 202-225-4711 / 202-225-5681 / firstname.lastname@example.org
DEMOCRATS WHO MAY VOTE FOR IMPEACHMENT
(AL) Bud Cramer - 202-225-4801 / 202-225-4392 / email@example.com
(CA) Gary Condit - 202-225-6131 / 202-225-0819 / firstname.lastname@example.org
(IA) Leonard Boswell - 202-225-3806 / 202-225-5608 /
(IN) Tim Roemer - 202-225-3915 / 202-225-6798 / email@example.com
(LA) Chris John - 202-225-2031 / 202-225-5724 /
(MO) Pat Danner - 202-225-7041 / 202-225-8221 / none
(NC) Mike McIntyre - 202-225-2731 / 202-225-5773 / CongMcIntyre@mail.house.gov
(NY) C. Maloney - 202-225-7944 / 202-225- 4709 /
(OH) Jim Traficant - 202-225-5261 / 202-225-3719 / firstname.lastname@example.org
(PA) Paul McHale - 202-225-6411 / 202-225-5320 / email@example.com
(PA) John Murtha - 202-225-2065 / 202-225-5709 / firstname.lastname@example.org
(TN) Bart Gordon - 202-225-4231 / 202-225-6887 / email@example.com
(TX) Charles Stenholm - 202-225-6605 / 202-225-2234 / firstname.lastname@example.org
(VA) James Moran - 202-225-4376 / 202-225-0017 / email@example.com
(WI) Jay Johnson - 202-225-5665 / 202-225-5729 / firstname.lastname@example.org
House Switchboard: 202-225-3121
Please Join Us In Agreeing Prayer:
Heavenly Father, we have been complacent. We have neither prayed nor labored as we ought to preserve righteousness, justice and freedom in our nation. Though you have called us to be light and salt in our land we have been careless, given to idolatries much like our neighbors who have no knowledge of God. Thus we are responsible before you for the present distress.
Other Prayer Focuses
You have allowed us to choose wicked men to be our rulers and now we are filled with the fruit of our own doings. God, please forgive us and have mercy, now, upon our children and grandchildren. Move upon our Congressmen to ignore polls and popular opinion and to uphold LAW and JUSTICE. May they reaffirm our Constitution by voting to IMPEACH President Bill Clinton this Thursday. In Jesus' Name, Amen (Ex 23:2; Dt 16:19-20; Pr 29:27; Is 1:15-17; Amos 5:14,15,24; Mic 3:1-12; Zep 2:3; 3:5, 7-8; Mt 12:18).
Return to Welcome Page