THE CAPITOL HILL PRAYER ALERT
November 18th, 1999
Afghans Pledge Vengency
"Let everyone who is Godly pray to you while you may be found" (Psalm 32:6)
Declare Curses, Promise "Surprises" for U.S.
At a weekend press conference arranged by Afghanistan's ruling government, the Taleban, reporters were told that terrorist leader Osama bin Laden has deployed a commando unit to perform "Jihad" (a holy war of revenge) in response to U.S.-backed U.N. economic sanctions against Afghanistan. The Taleban, until now friendly toward the U.S., approved of citizen riots during which anti-American mobs burned U.S. property and effigies of President Bill Clinton in cities across the nation.
- Afghan state-controlled radio broke a three-year ban on music to broadcast a song calling upon Afghans to take revenge on the United States and urging all Muslims worldwide to rise up against America. In one town a U.N. office was burned to the ground. Mobs shouted "Death to America," "Death to the U.N. Security Council" (Washington Times, 11/16/99).
- The Afghans basically defeated the Soviet Union during ten years of guerrilla warfare in the 1980s, a "miracle" brought about by their fierce independence and incredible determination. The U.S. helped the Afghans with weapons and aid, but since August 21, 1998, Afghan public sentiment toward their former U.S. ally has shifted radically. On that day, President Clinton ordered Cruise missiles fired into Afghanistan in a failed attempt to punish terrorist Osama bin Laden. (That attack was ordered the same week Clinton testified before the grand jury under intense media scrutiny.) At that time, bin Laden's group called for "Jihad" against the United States. The Clinton Administration countered by declaring a war against terrorists.
- The U.S., which accused bin Laden of masterminding bombings of U.S. embassies in Kenya and Tanzania, has demanded his extradition from Afghanistan. The U.N Security Council threatened to impose economic sanctions if the Taleban failed to expel bin Laden by November 14. Mullah Omar, head of the Taleban, has written an open letter to the people of the United States, saying, "If you do not [bring pressure on your government and ask them to cease hostility against us], you will face earthquakes and storms from God, Almighty Allah, and then you will be surprised about what is coming to you and you will not be able to do anything about it."
- Yosef Bodansky, a researcher with the House of Representatives' counter-terrorism task force, has said publicly that bin Laden has as many as 20 Russian nuclear "suitcase" bombs in addition to chemical and biological weapons of mass destruction.
- Rockets were fired at the U.S. Embassy in Pakistan last week, injuring six persons. A growing number of incidents around the world could be pointing to a multifaceted anti-American Jihad.
The American people are rejoicing over their growing stock earnings and scurrying to accomplish some early Christmas shopping oblivious to the fact that we are a nation at war. Y2K could hold some "surprises" for America that are totally unrelated to the Millennium Bug. Indeed, there are reports that certain of America's enemies have planned computer virus attacks in which upwards of 200,000 viruses will be loosed on the Internet and business and government intranets in January 2000. America's top military leaders readily admit that we are almost defenseless against such attacks. The anti-American "coalition" that has congealed as a result of failed Clinton foreign policy is now capable of doing near-mortal damage to the U.S.
Please Join us in Agreeing Prayer, now and through the critical months ahead:
- Heavenly Father, We pray for Your MERCY& RESTRAINT. Because of our iniquities we fully deserve the judgments of war, yet we pray that You will INTERVENE & PROTECT. Lord, Your hand has kept terrorism from overtaking our Nation. Take not Your hand from upon us. Cause Your people to CRY OUT to You and grant America mercy in our time of need (Ex 32:7-14; Ps 9:9; 46:1-7; 76:7-10; 121:all; Jonah 4:10-11; Heb 4:16).
"Please check back with us as new matters for prayer are posted each week. By joining together with others, the power of our prayers are multiplied.
Please feel free to print and share these with your prayer group or pastor.