U.S. Military Readiness: Another Oxymoron?
The Majority of the Nation Unaware!
Posted October 9, 1998
- During last week's Senate Armed Services Committee hearing, the Senate began to see how terribly vulnerable America is when it comes to military readiness. Sen. Robert Smith (R-NH) was incredulous when he declared to the Joint Chiefs of Staff during the hearing, "This readiness crisis didn't come out of nowhere. You and your predecessors have presided over it." Yet, most Americans are completely unaware of the deterioration of the military.
- Today's U.S. military is being deployed to more missions with less money than ever before. Military personnel shortages, aging aircraft, cannibalization of equipment for spare parts, overworked naval fleets, lower morale, etc. are causing Defense Department officials and other experts to
wonder if America will be able to defend herself in the event of a strike against her.
- President Clinton has reported to the American public more than 130 times that there are no missiles aimed at American children. Yet, this is only another example of his twisting of the truth. While there may not be missiles aimed at American children at this precise moment, it would only take a few
minutes for that to be changed.
- Terrorist countries are actively acquiring nuclear weaponry at an alarming rate. Both North Korea and Iran have hidden their strategic military infrastructure in subterranean locations. Congress was informed recently that North Korea has an "underground city" in which it was able to build, test and
deploy a medium-range missile before the U.S. intelligence community was even aware of its existence.
- The Coalition to Defend America released a recent poll suggesting that if Americans were made aware that their homes, towns, military and country were defenseless against a real threat, they would support funding an effective defense system as an "urgent priority" even if the costs were "relatively
To receive more information concerning our nation's military readiness, please check out the following web sites of the Family Research Council's Military Readiness Project:
Other Prayer Focuses
- Pray that Americans will AWAKEN to the emergency of our military's lack of readiness (Dt 28:15, 43-48; Neh 4:14; Pr 28:4; 2 John 11).
- Pray that the Clinton Administration's designs to further weaken our
military will be STOPPED (Ps 7:9, 149:6-9; Is 41:10-13; Jer 23:19&20).
- Pray that the Congress will ARISE and take all necessary actions needed to repair our military (Is 1:17; Jn 14:13&14; Ro 12:21).
Return to Welcome Page