who is Godly pray to you while you may be found" (Psalm
BUSH, PUTIN MEETING
Leaders of World's Nuclear Powers Need Our Prayers!
After summit meetings this week with the leaders of NATO and the European Union, President Bush will meet Saturday with Russian President Vladimir Putin in Ljuliana, Slovenia.
* The President's first official face-to-face meeting with Mr. Putin is ostensibly to get acquainted, to discuss "democracy," "capital investment," and to "share a vision." But the President has also said he will express his concern over weapons proliferation along Russia's southern border, calling it a "reason for nations to rethink the issue of missile defense."
* Bush's performance in Europe was a good prelude to his meeting with Putin. Some of Europe's liberal leaders have vocally opposed President Bush's policies, among them his determination to set aside the 1972 ABM treaty, to build a modern missile defense system and to reject the Kyoto "global warming" treaty. But the President took a remarkably firm posture with the NATO leaders and experts say the Europeans feel better now about Bush's missile plan while "agreeing to disagree on Kyoto."
* Russia and a handful of former Soviet states possess the world's only arsenal of nuclear weapons capable of obliterating the United States. But Russia's ability to manage its deteriorating arsenal, the sale of weapons of mass destruction to various rogue states, and a new military alliance with Red China are matters of enormous concern. Indeed, while President Bush was participating in the NATO summit, President Putin was at a two-day summit with the Red Chinese in Shanghai.
* Bush foreign policy officials say no major agreements or breakthroughs are expected tomorrow, but there will be discussion of cooperation on missile defense, nonproliferation, possible mechanisms for further discussion and a general exchange of ideas.
* Other Foreign policy experts say Putin, once a KGB Chief, is now negotiating with the former Soviet states to rebuild a new Soviet Union, a Soviet Union allied with Red China. Together, they will seriously challenge US World leadership.
Ronald Reagan's character, vision and unflinching resolve are credited with bringing Mikhail Gorbachev to a moment of moral surrender and eventually to the downfall of the Soviet Empire. The world has been safer for a season. But the former Soviet Union's weapons are still aimed at the United States and are now being parceled out to a variety of America's rogue archenemies. George Bush is not Ronald Reagan, but we need to pray for him that he will have the anointing and wisdom of God effectively to communicate with Putin, to lead, and to shape history in the process.
Please Join Us in Believing, Overcoming
* Heavenly Father, You hold world rulers and fate of nations in Your hands. Let Your Presence, Power and Authority be there when President's Bush & Putin meet tomorrow. Anoint our President to be as "wise as a serpent and harmless as a dove," while speaking plainly & clearly. May President Putin respond like the Queen of Sheba responded to Solomon. Give Mr. Putin a deep respect for our president that will lead to a deeper respect and righteous cooperation between our nations. May Your will be done. In Jesus' Name. Amen (1 Kg 10:4; Ps 2:10-12; Pr 23:1-3; 28:23; 29:11; Jer 10:6-7; Mt 10:16).
Get Breaking Christian News at: