FMA: DOWN BUT NOT OUT!
"This is Just the Beginning"
If thou faint in the day of adversity, thy strength is small (Pr 24:10)
Two million petitions and a jammed Senate phone system on Monday and Tuesday gained no measurable support for the Federal Marriage Amendment (FMA). Only 48 senators voted to end debate 12 fewer than the 60 needed to proceed and 19 fewer than the 67 needed to pass the FMA. But Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist (TN) warned, "This issue is not going away!"
- A majority of Republicans voted for the FMA, a majority of Democrats against. Six Republicans [Campbell (CO), Chafee (RI), Collins (ME), McCain (AZ), Snowe (ME) & Sununu (NH)] crossed party lines to oppose the FMA. Three Democrats [Byrd (WV), Miller (GA) & Nelson (NE)] voted for the FMA.
- The House of Representatives, which will vote on the FMA in September, will consider a related bill next week. Sponsored by Rep. John Hostettler (R-IN), the Marriage Protection Act (H. R. 3313) will strip the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) from federal and U.S. Supreme Court jurisdiction. DOMA requires the federal government to recognize only traditional marriage and protects states from having to recognize homosexual marriage performed in other states.
- Also under consideration is a measure that would remove jurisdiction from the federal courts but not the U.S. Supreme Court. If the Supreme Court rules DOMA unconstitutional soon, this may energize pro-family Americans to push for a Federal Marriage Amendment. Pro-family leaders are concerned that the increasing number of married homosexual couples plus the years of drawn-out lawsuits and appeals will sap the American peoples will to secure victory for any Federal Marriage Amendment.
- Experts say a key to the fate of the FMA is what voters do with the six Republican Senators who crossed party lines to support homosexual marriage yesterday.
You can reach your Senator and Representative at 202-224-3121.
- Please Continue to Persist in Prayer:
- Heavenly Father, INTERVENE! GRANT miracles & victory (Pr 6:13-15; 28:4; 29:1-2; Ps 9:17; Is 30:12-15a).
- SHAKE Your people! Give our Congressional leaders wisdom, strategy & tactics to enact the FMA. In Jesus' Name, Amen (2 Chr 20:12; Mt 21:21-22; Mk 11:24; Lk 13:3, 5; Jn 14:12-14; Rom 13:3-4; Eph 5:14-17).