A coalition of Christians, churches, politicians and Boise, Idaho townspeople are laboring fervently to let the people's voice determine whether a 40-year-old Ten Commandments monument, removed from a park by order of the City Council, should be returned.
- Rev. Pat Mahoney of the Washington-based Christian Defense Coalition and Brandi Swindell of Generation Life, are spearheading the "Keep the Commandments Coalition. Their success will provide a "template" for citizens to use against the ACLU's systematic campaign to remove the Ten Commandments from public display in America.
- Liberty University student Bethany Valentine, daughter of CHPA founder-President Harry Valentine, is in Boise serving on the Coalition staff.
- The referendum was initiated after prayer vigil -- in freezing temperatures, ice and snow -- did nothing to deter the Council. Also, a court order to prevent removal of the monument on grounds city leaders failed to consider the people's will could not be obtained.
- Councilmen blame their decision on Fred Phelps, an infamous anti-gay preacher, who threatens to sue Boise if they refuse to permit erection of a memorial to slain homosexual Matthew Shepard (see www.prayeralert.org/alertarchives/alert-040201.html ).
- The Coalition must obtain 8700 signatures by August 13. Boise's mayor and several Council-members have made confusion and uncertainty among some Boiseans. Some believe they will attempt to thwart the referendum even if the signatures are obtained. Idaho's two U.S. Senators and two Congressmen have expressed support for the commandments.
Americans overwhelmingly favor the public display of the Ten Commandments, yet antagonists will succeed wherever timid or sympathetic community leaders bow to threats from the ACLU, Fred Phelps or others. Biblically faithful Christian activists are needed. The Coalition desperately needs our prayers and financial support (Write Keep the Commandments, PO Box 140031, Boise, ID 83714 or visit www.keepthecommandmentsboise.com ).
Please Join Us in Believing Prayer:
- Lord, GIVE the People of Boise VICTORY. May Your people obtain more than the needed number of signatures. May the people of Boise win this fight at the polls (Gen 20:3; Ps 18:29-30; Is 41:10; 54:17).
- MOTIVATE hundreds of thousands to DEFEND the 10 Commandments wherever they are challenged. May the Church REPENT & ACT to restore what has been lost through three decades of apathy . In Jesus' Name, Amen (1 Chr 12:18, 22; 2 Chr 15: all, esp. v. 7; Acts 28:25-27).