MARRIAGE AMENDMENT SHOWDOWN
Christians Have only Weeks to Pray, Take Action
All should honor marriage, and the marriage bed kept pure, for God will judge the adulterer and all the sexually immoral (Heb 13:4).
Senate leaders announced yesterday that they would bring the Federal Marriage Amendment to a vote during the week of July 12th. Majority leader Bill Frist (R-TN) has asserted if "marriage [is] redefined by the courts
cannot let [that] happen, and indeed we won't let that happen."
- The move is politically risky since a grassroots groundswell supporting the Amendment has not materialized. Yet polls show a majority of Americans firmly support traditional marriage and oppose homosexual marriage.
- With an overloaded Senate agenda and this an election year the push for a vote on this controversial measure is considered extraordinary by some.
- Senate Democrats surely will filibuster, forcing Republicans to muster 60 votes to invoke cloture. Experts say getting 60 Senate votes by July will require a grassroots uprising; otherwise the Amendment will be dead at least for this year.
- Republicans hope grassroots pressure will persuade recalcitrant, pro-homosexual Democrats and Republicans to support the Amendment.
- Uncommitted key Senators are Democrats Tom Daschle (SD), Tim Johnson (SD) and Republicans Arlen Specter (PA), George Voinovich (OH), Olympia Snowe (ME) and Susan Collins (ME). CBN News has posted a larger list of uncommitted Senators at www.cbn.com/CBNNews/News/FMA_topprioritylist.asp.
Only God can stir millions of pastors and people to arise and reverse the legalization of homosexual marriage. A brief window remains to do so. If we fail, the curses upon America will multiply. God will hold the Church responsible. The American family, already in shambles, will face radical disruption and decline, just as it has wherever homosexual marriage has been legalized (see www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/003/660zypwj.asp).
Please urge everyone you know to pray and take action, while any time remains.
Please Continue to Persist in Prayer:
- Heavenly Father, You CURSE all who practice & approve of homosexuality. Help us now to resist this evil (Pr 28:4; Ps 9:17; Rom 1:18-32; Jude 1:7).
- Break the spirit of apathy that binds so many believers. STIR Your people to PRAY & TAKE ACTION! INTERVENE! Move Supernaturally upon our Senators to enact the FMA. May it be ENACTED & RATIFIED. In Jesus' Name, Amen (2 Chr 20:12; Mt 21:21-22; Mk 11:24; Lk 13:3, 5; Jn 14:12-14; Rom 13:3-4).