- S. DAKOTA TO CHALLENGE
ROE v. WADE
- They that forsake the law praise the wicked: but such as keep the law contend with them (Pr 28:4).
The South Dakota legislature plans to challenge Roe v. Wade. A bill introduced by State Rep. Matt McCaulley last week will outlaw nearly all abortions in South Dakota.
- The measure states life begins at conception, a fact the U.S. Supreme Court could not determine in 1973, yet medical science has since settled conclusively. This will be the first comprehensive direct state challenge to Roe v. Wade in 31 years.
- House Bill 1191 (http://legis.state.sd.us/sessions/2004/1191.htm) makes abortion a crime punishable by a $5000 fine and up to five years in prison. There is an exception for abortions in rare instances when carrying a baby poses a clear threat to the life of the mother or risks "substantial and irreversible impairment of a major bodily function."
- The bill has sufficient support to pass both Houses 47 of 70 state representatives and 18 of 25 state senators have signed on as cosponsors of the bill.
- Governor Mike Rounds (R), a devoted pro-lifer, is expected to sign the bill into law.
- The director of Planned Parenthood of Minnesota/South Dakota says her group, which performs 98% of abortions in the state, will challenge the law in court.
- The Thomas More Law Center, a Catholic legal group, helped craft the bill to "directly confront" Roe v. Wade. Experts expect the law ultimately to reach the U.S. Supreme Court. Some call it "a waste of time and money" that "cannot hold up in the courts."
Please Join Us in United, Determined Prayer:
- Lord, after 31 years of living with Roe v. Wade, FAITH has waned among many who labor for LIFE. REVIVE Your people, O Lord. Work Miracles in South Dakota this Year (Is 40:29-31; Heb 11:6). .
- Overturn Roe v. Wade. CAUSE more God-fearing pro-life men & women to be elected to office across America. In Jesus Name, Amen (Pr 24:10-12; Mt 17:20-21; Mk 9:23; Lk 18:2-8; 1 Th 5:24; Heb 11:32-34).