BUSH IMMIGRATION PLAN
Straw that broke the Camel's Back?
The alien living among you must be treated as one of your native-born. Love him as yourself, for you were aliens in Egypt. I am the LORD your God (Lev 19:33, 34).
President Bush's sweeping immigration proposal has Washington conservatives in a rage! Experts say it is the "last straw" for many conservatives, some who are leaving the GOP for third parties. This could cost Bush the election (www.freecongress.org/commentaries/040112pw.asp).
- If Congress approves the proposal, 12 million illegal aliens, most smuggled across the Mexican border, will receive temporary resident status as "guest workers." They will have three years to obtain legal residency or return home. This will solve a dilemma for thousands of businesses that illegally employ undocumented aliens.
- For many Americans, National Security is the issue. They want more not less border security. For a President made popular by the War on Terror and Homeland Security, this muddies the waters. Members of the U.S. Border Patrol and other law enforcement officers, who risk life and limb for their jobs, are in shock.
- Most Americans view fair, controlled immigration growth as good for America. Yet a recent poll shows 83% believe illegal immigrants should face mandatory detention, forfeiture of property, and deportation. Americans do not want their leaders to reward lawbreakers.
- Americans wont willingly finance illegal immigrants at the expense of American workers. The Bush plan will let millions of illegal aliens collect U.S. cash benefits, costing taxpayers $345 billion over 20 years (see www.washingtontimes.com/commentary/20040108-084242-4958r.htm ).
- The strain on public welfare, housing, education, healthcare, legal aid, Social Security, etc. will increase the cost of government and add to the tax burden of every American.
Christians must engage the debate President Bush has begun. Defying the terrorist threat, he has given expression to the American spirit that promises asylum to the huddled masses. God commands us to love the alien among us, but also to use prudence. We must distinguish between terrorists and those who enter the U.S. illegally to escape oppression or economic desperation (Pr 22:3; Rom 13:4; Lk 14:28-32).
Please Join Us in Urgent Prayer:
- Father, HELP us & our leaders resolve this perplexing National Crisis -- Biblically. GRANT Congress WISDOM. GIVE Your Church Truth with which to instruct Governors & Citizens.
- Grant America Secure Borders that our Terrorist enemies cannot penetrate (1 Kg 3:26; Neh 2:13; 4:7-14; Pr 25:28; Lk 11:21-22). In Jesus Name, Amen.