PRAY FOR LT. GEN. BOYKIN!
Our Fighting Men's Religious
Liberty Must Not Be Diminished
And when the centurion, who stood there in front of Jesus, heard his cry and saw how he died, he said, "Surely this man was the Son of God!"(Mk 15:39)
Lt. Gen. William G. "Jerry" Boykin leads the military task force charged with tracking down top Al Quaeda leaders. He is a Christian who boldly shares his faith. Now a growing chorus of Americans is calling for the decorated soldier's dismissal because he told Christian church audiences how faith impacted his battlefield experience.
- The flak is over Boykin's testimony in a church that was caught on film by an LA Times reporter. Recounting a Somali warlord's boast that allah would not let Americans win, Boykin said, "My God was bigger than his, and I knew that my God was a real God and that his was an idol." He also said Muslims hate the U.S. "because we're a Christian nationour roots are Judeo-Christian, and the enemy is a guy called Satan."
- Muslim activists, liberal Democrats, anti-Christian groups like People for the American Way and a growing number of Congressmen are raging against the General.
- Sen. John Warner (VA-R) has urged the President to reassign Boykin pending results of an investigation. Secretary Rumsfeld's office says there is no such plan.
- President Bush told reporters Boykin's statements "didn't reflect my opinion" nor "what the government thinks." Mr. Bush has taken great care to show tolerance for non-Christian religions, especially Muslims. The President even hosts a Ramadan dinner each December at the White House attended by Islamic leaders, some who rail against the U.S., Israel, Christians and Jews. Yet the President and other officials quickly distance themselves from Christians who make Biblical, factually true statements about Islam.
If General Boykin is punished, even with the slightest reprimand, it will be a travesty. Such would quench the religious freedom of every American serviceman, every government employee and, in some measure, every American Christian. General Boykin spoke the truth. If anything, he should be commended not reprimanded.
Please Join Us in Believing Prayer:
- Father, MOVE UPON OUR PRESIDENT, Secretary Rumsfeld & all those who will play a part in General Boykin's investigation & its disposition.
- VINDICATE General Boykin & all our fighting men who name the Name of Christ. RESTRAIN the evil forces that are persecuting Boykin & others.
- USE this evil assault. TURN it around to Glorify You & Advance Your Purposes in the military, the nation & the world. In Jesus' Name, Amen (1 Sam 24:12-17; Ps 35:14-28; 135:13-21; Rom 8:28-31).